LBNL DEMP Bibliography
Density Equalizing Map Projections
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Note: Some of the URL's cited below are text-only documents without figures. For paper copies of any of the following, please send your e-mail address and your postal mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Specify which documents are desired.
LBNL algorithm #1: radial expansion at polygon centroids
- Merrill, D.; Cartograms May Reveal Patterns in Cancer Incidence. In Currents (Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory newspaper), September 14, 1984. 1 page.
- Shaw, G.; A Comparison of Techniques Used for the Detection of Spatial and Temporal-Spatial Disease Clustering; Dr.Ph. dissertation, Dept of Epidemiology, UC Berkeley; completed June 1986. 126 pages.
- Schulman, J.; The Statistical Analysis of Density Equalized Map Projections; Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Biostatistics, UC Berkeley; Report LBL-22446; November 1986. 229 pages.
- Selvin, S., Merrill, D., Schulman, J., Shaw, G., Benson, W. and Mohr, M.; Illustrations of a Density-Equalizing Map Projection Technique; Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory report LBL-23189; April 1987. 40 pages.
- Selvin, S., Shaw, G., Schulman, J., and Merrill, D.W.; Spatial Distribution of Disease: Three Case Studies. Presented at Annual Meeting of the Society for Epidemiological Research, Chapel Hill NC, June 1985. Revised version: LBL-21162; Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 1987 Sep, 79(3):417-23. 7 pages.
- Schulman J; Selvin S; Merrill DW. Density equalized map projections: a method for analysing clustering around a fixed point. Report LBL-24834. Statistics in Medicine, 1988 Apr, 7(4):491-505. 15 pages.
- Selvin S, Merrill D, Schulman J, Sacks S, Bedell L, and Wong L; Transformations of Maps to Investigate Clusters of Disease; LBL-18550, October 1984; presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association, Anaheim CA, November 1984. 33 pages.
- Selvin S, Merrill D, Schulman J, Sacks S, Bedell L, and Wong L; Transformations of Maps to Investigate Clusters of Disease; LBL-18550(rev), June 1987; Social Science and Medicine, 1988, 26(2):215-21. 7 pages.
- Merrill, D.; Density-Equalizing Map Transformations in Environmental Health Applications; in Proceedings of: Piecing the Puzzle Together: a Conference on Integrating Data for Decisionmaking; Washington DC; May 27-29, 1987; pp 122-125. Published by National Governors' Association, Washington, DC, 1988. 4 pages.
- Shaw GM, Selvin S, Swan SH, Merrill D, and Schulman J; An Examination of Three Disease Clustering Methodologies; report LBL-23380, April 1987; International Journal of Epidemiology, 1988 Dec, 17(4):913-9. 7 pages.
- Merrill, D.; Density Equalizing Map Projections (Cartograms) in Public Health Applications; presented at AutoCarto conference, American Congress of Surveyors and Mappers, Baltimore MD, April 2-7, 1989. 33 pages.
- Schulman J., Selvin S., Shaw G. and Merrill D.; Detection of Excess Disease Near an Exposure Point: A Case Study; LBL-27628, July 1989; Archives of Environmental Health, 1990 May-Jun, 45(3):168-74. 7 pages.
LBNL algorithm #2: constrained minimization of triangle distortions
- Merrill D, Selvin S and Mohr MS. Density Equalizing Map Projections: A New Algorithm. Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory Report LBL-31984, February 1992. To be published in conference proceedings of Distancia '92: International Meeting on Distance Analysis, Rennes, France, June 22-26, 1992. 4 pages.
- Merrill DW, Selvin S and Mohr MS; Analyzing geographic clustered response; report LBL-30954, June 1991; invited paper presented at 1991 Joint Statistical Meetings of the American Statistical Association, Atlanta GA, August 1991. WWW URL (text only): http://merrill.olm.net/pdocs/asa91/asa91.txt.html. 44 pages.
- Merrill DW, Selvin S and Mohr MS; Analyzing geographic clustered response. Summary version in proceedings, Section on Statistics and the Environment, American Statistical Association, pp. 96-101, published June 1992. WWW URL (text only): http://merrill.olm.net/pdocs/asa91/short.txt.html. 6 pages.
- Merrill D, Selvin S and Mohr MS. Density Equalizing Map Projections: Techniques and Applications. Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory report LBL-32640, July 1992. Presented at Workshop on Statistics and Computing in Disease Clustering, Stony Brook NY, 23-24 July 1992. WWW URL (text only): http://merrill.olm.net/mdocs/stonybr/stonybr.txt.html. 33 pages.
- Selvin S, Schulman J, and Merrill D; Interpoint squared distance as a measure of spatial clustering; Report LBL-30430, February 1991; Social Science and Medicine, 1993 Apr, 36(8):1011-6. 14 pages.
LBNL algorithm #3: Russian line integral (RLInt)
- Merrill, D., Selvin, S., and Close, E.R. Use of density equalizing map projections (DEMP) in the analysis of a reported childhood cancer cluster in McFarland, California. Presented at the Second Conference on Statistics and Computing in Disease Clustering, Vancouver, B.C., Canada, July 21-22, 1994. Presented at California Department of Health Services, 9/29/94. Draft project completion report submitted to Department of Energy on 7/27/94. WWW URL: http://merrill.olm.net/pdocs/vancouver/vancouver.html. 28 pages.
- Merrill DW, Selvin S, Close ER and Holmes HH. 1995. Use of Density Equalizing Map Projections (DEMP) in the Analysis of Childhood Cancer in Four California Counties. Report LBL-36630, January 1995 (74 pages). Task completion report submitted to Department of Energy on 1/3/95. WWW URL: http://merrill.olm.net/pdocs/cdc9501/lbl36630.html. 74 pages.
- Merrill DW, Selvin S, Close ER and Holmes HH. 1995. Use of Density Equalizing Map Projections (DEMP) in the Analysis of Childhood Cancer in Four California Counties. Graphics presented at the 1995 CDC/ATSDR Symposium on Statistical Methods: Small Area Statistics in Public Health: Design, Analysis, Graphic and Spatial Methods; January 25-26, 1995; Atlanta, Georgia. WWW URL: http://merrill.olm.net/pdocs/cdc9501/25graphics.html. 25 pages.
- Merrill DW, Selvin S, Close ER and Holmes HH. 1995. Use of Density Equalizing Map Projections (DEMP) in the Analysis of Childhood Cancer in Four California Counties. Statistics in Medicine, Vol. 15, 1837-1848 (1966). 16 pages. For copyright notice and reprint information see WWW URL: http://merrill.olm.net/pdocs/cdc9510/reprint.html.
Report LBL-36630 Rev.2, October 1995 (24 pages).
Revised version of LBL-36630 Rev., April 1995.
- Close ER, Merrill DW and Holmes HH. 1995. Implementation of a New Algorithm for Density Equalizing Map Projections (DEMP). Report LBL-35738, July 1995. WWW URL: http://imap.chesapeake.net/~merrill/pdocs/tr940401/all.html. 134 pages.
- Merrill DW and Selvin S. 1996. Use of Density Equalizing Map Projections (DEMP) in the Analysis of Childhood Cancer in Four California Counties. Report LBL-36630 Rev.3, November 1996. Presented at National Cancer Institute GIS Advisory Meeting, November 25, 1996. http://merrill.olm.net/pdocs/nci9611/nci9611.html. 12 figures with captions.
- Merrill DW and Selvin S. 1997. Analyzing Spatial Patterns in Health Outcome Surveillance Data. Presented at 1997 CDC and ATSDR Symposium on Statistical Methods: Statistical Bases for Public Health Decision Making: From Exploration to Modeling, January 28-30, 1997, Atlanta, Georgia. http://merrill.olm.net/pdocs/cdc9701/cdc9701.html. 12 figures with captions.
- Selvin S, Merrill DW, Erdmann C, White M and Ragland K. 1998. Breast Cancer Detection: Maps of 2 San Francisco Bay Area Counties. American Journal of Public Health Vol. 88(8):1186-1192.
- Merrill DW. 1999. Density Equalizing Map Projections in the Analysis of Childhood Cancer in Four California Counties. Presemted at the 1999 CDC/ATSDR Symposium on Statistical Methods, Atlanta, Georgia, January 1999. Accepted for publication in Statistics in Medicine. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. Preprint location: http://merrill.olm.net/pdocs/cdc9911/simdwm2.html.
pubs.html 3/14/01 1340 EST in: